International Cole Slaw
We like this recipe because it is easy and flexible. We have prepared it in Australia, Thailand, Costa Rica, and Mexico. The main ingredient is cabbage and the balance of the vegetables can be varied by what is available.
Servings 6 people
- 4 cups thinly sliced, then diced green or red cabbage or a mixture of both
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped or grated jicama
- 2-4 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4-6 tablespoons lime juice (1 medium lime)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey
For the Dressing
In a separate bowl add lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, and sweetener.
Whisk the dressing together well.
Pour dressing over mixed vegetables and stir well. Let flavors marry for 5-10 minutes if possible.